LA MAISON CHOPARD’S STORY
LOUIS-ULYSSE CHOPARD, THE FOUNDER
CHOPARD’S WATCH CREATIONS IN THE 19TH CENTURY
SONVILIER: THE ESSENCE OF SWISS WATCHMAKING
In Sonvilier, as in the rest of the Swiss Jura region, local farmers supplemented their meager winter income by mounting watches. This practice obeyed an established custom according to which watchmaking production was distributed among small independent and specialized units. In Chopard’s case, the master watchmaker himself would then collect the components, assemble them, and fit the final product.
FROM THE SWISS JURA TO GENEVA UNDER THE DIRECTION OF PAUL-LOUIS CHOPARD
Paul-Louis Chopard (1859-1940), son of Louis-Ulysse, took over the reins of the company in 1915 and opened a branch in the nearby industrial town of La-Chaux-de-Fonds, which later hosted the company . A few years later, in 1937, he moved the company to the business center of Geneva, the world capital of watchmaking.
Paul-Louis handed the baton over to his son Paul-André Chopard (1898-1968) in 1943. The postwar period was difficult and the company, with a staff of just five workers, was in decline. In the 1960s, Paul-André began to think about selling the company, since none of his sons wanted to follow in his footsteps.
KARL SCHEUFELE Y LA COMPRA DE CHOPARD
KARL SCHEUFELE III AND HIS WIFE KARIN
THE HEIRS OF THE SCHEUFELE FAMILY
Chopard is one of the few family businesses left in the jewelry and watch industry. Since the 1980s, Caroline and Karl-Friedrich – the sons of Karl and Karin – have been an active part of the firm. At present, they jointly hold the presidency. Although both show independence: Caroline Scheufele is in charge of the women’s collections and has been in charge of developing the jewelery section and the High Jewelery department. His brother, Karl-Friedrich, manages the men’s collections after having dedicated himself in the eighties to the creation of sports watches and having launched, in the nineties, the Chopard manufacture in Fleurier, where the L.U.C. movements are produced.